Friday, March 30, 2012

Shame (2011)

Just watched it.

Did I like it?

...

I still can't decide.
The only thing I'm sure of is I kept feeling sorry for the guy the whole time. I mean this character could be given the Most Pathetic Fictional Character Award (just made it up, just for him). As my boyfriend put it, "Get some help, buddy!" Thank God I had bought a fair amount of candy, otherwise I would be much more depressed at the moment. If Steve McQueen's goal was to make the average viewer feel something between disgust and sorrow, then I guess he achieved it. Also, Carey Mulligan.... mmmm.... Well, I don't like her. I think it's her lips, or her eyes. I don't know... There's something about her face that puts me off (something like Keira Knightley's teeth), so I couldn't make a connection there either. 

Shame is one of those movies that is controversial enough to be worth seeing but it's not something light to watch on a Friday night (as I did). 


4 comments:

  1. I really want to see this film. Have you seen McQueen's Hunger, starring Michael Fassbender as well? Man, that one is depressing as hell but very original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! No, I haven't seen Hunger but I just checked it out on imdb. I see it takes place in Northern Ireland, so this is reason enough for me to want to watch it! Thanks for recommending it!

      Delete
  2. I watched this with my sister, mainly because we both have a massive crush on Michael Fassbender. If anything, this movie made him really unattractive. I thought it was a great film, despite how unenjoyable it was (but it's certainly not the masterpiece that people say it is). I liked the brave performances from Fassbender and Mulligan (and I thought she gave a good performance, but your feelings about Mulligan is like mine for other actresses... such as Emma Stone). It's hilarious to think you watched this with your bf as 'light' friday entertainment! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! This was so long ago! My boyfriend is now my husband!

      Well, towards the end, I felt so disgusted. I don't know what makes it a masterpiece to other people, but to me it was just not my type of movie.

      Thank you for your comment! i was very happy to read it!

      Delete

goodreads

Followers