Thursday, July 26, 2012

Name Day!

In Greece, almost everyone has a name day. This means that people wish you "Hronia Polla" (it roughly translates as "live long") and you may get a present or two because you have the name of the saint who is honored on a given day.

Today it's my turn and since this blog is titled "Sexta-feira", which means Friday which means Παρασκευή (Paraskevi), it's the blog's name day too!

Our friends from the US are here, so we decided to take them to a traditional fair last night. It entailed drinking wine in water glasses, so yes, we had a lot of fun!


This morning we were out and about again, walking, shopping and eating under the blistering Greek sun.

At some point we decided to have some coffee in one of my favorite places in Yannena. It's a small coffee shop in this cute little alley. Although the alley is very quiet during the day, at night it fills with people having drinks. There are small tables and candles along this narrow passage and if you look up you can see the stars. I love going there for a beer.

 


 The coffee shop has a cinema theme. The menus come in DVD cases and the ashtrays look like this:



yup, Audrey gets a second picture!


It was a nice way to celebrate my name day. I usually don't do much about it, so I'm very happy I got the chance to have a good time with good friends!

16 comments:

  1. Hronia Polla to you Sexta-feira.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that alley is so cute and charming. I can see why you like it. That coffee shop is so cool. Happy name day! Thanks for sharing the photos. There really nice. I love the colors too. So vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! Although I may get fed up with my small town quite often, there are some places that never fail to make my day (or night!).

      Delete
  3. Namenstag gibt es bei uns auch, aber es ist nicht mehr so bekannt und meist nur in gläubigen katholischen Familien ein Brauch.
    Wie auch immer, dann mal meinen Glückwunsch für Dich und viel Freude!
    Und es sind traumhafte Fotos...

    Lieben Gruß
    CL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cloudy!
      Well, name days are a big thing here in Greece, especially for names that are very popular (mine is not so much). ;)

      Delete
  4. Dearest Sexta-feira,
    Hey, really wonderful to know the meaning of your name and written in your writing♡♡♡ Happy your name day!!!
    Great pictures of the allay and coffee shop. What lovely menus, I LOVE Audrey(♥^_^♥)~*
    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan to my Greece fellow teacher friend, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miyako! Thank you!
      It's so nice that we both teach English but in so different parts of the world!
      Have a great weekend! ;)

      Delete
  5. Happy name day!
    Lovely post, I enjoyed the alley photos. It looks splendid. And I definitely loved the coffee shop ashtrays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lesya! It's always great when there are more original shops to go to.
      Enjoy your weekend! ;)

      Delete
  6. Love the photographs! Especially the blue door. And: Wine in water glasses = good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I agree about the wine!

      Delete
  7. Hi there to you my friend

    Just wanted to say hello as I have been on holiday
    and know that you are away too!!

    Hope that you are well.

    Looking forward to catching up with you soon

    The sun is shining in Ireland (can you believe it)?!!!

    Take care and catch up soon


    x Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you finally got summer weather! Enjoy your sunny weekend!
      We'll certainly catch up soon! :)

      Delete
  8. I love that street....with all the buildings together.....what a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete

goodreads

Followers