Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Gifts from the US!

Yesterday I got some extra special presents that came all the way from the US.

 

I've wanted to try American-style pumpkin pie for a long time now, but in this part of Greece it's not easy to find the appropriate pumpkin. Plus, if I even got my hands on one and tried to cut it open, the kitchen would look like Armageddon afterwards. So now, I'll just try to make a successful base for the pie. Any recipe suggestions?

It always amazes me how people who visit Greece are crazy about stuff like Greek salad and tzatziki. I guess an American would wonder why I'm so... mesmerized by pancakes. And I know they're easy enough to make from scratch, but I'm sure some Trader Joe's mix that has flown all the way over the Atlantic will make them taste better in my mouth! (What I liked about this box is there are all kinds of recipes printed on it; oh, Trader Joe's I miss you every day!)


And of course, you can't have a proper pancake dish without any maple syrup. Maple syrup is really hard to find in Greece and each bottle costs around 9 euros. So, I'm thrilled to have a small bottle in the kitchen right now. (I'm going all Gollum here: 
)


Last but not least, a box of mints with a picture of Abraham Lincoln on it. This will be a good chance for my students to learn who he was and win a mint or two!


Have a great day! :)







15 comments:

  1. Δυστυχώς δεν έχω συνταγή, αλλά μπορώ να πω πως πήρες πολύ νόστιμα δώρα!!
    Καλημέρα!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely package to have show up on your doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum scrum I love pumpkin pie, my Mum makes an awesome one. Must go and find some and get her busy in the kitchen :o)

    I loved the video link you sent me of Rachel "GET OUT, GET OUT, GET OUT!!" That is how I feel today, my due day....not a twinge in sight....ho hum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Την παραδοσιακή ελληνική κολοκυθόπιτα , γλυκιά με ζάχαρη η αλμυρή με λίγο ρύζι και τυρί, άνιθο η δυόσμο... Το σιρόπι σφενδάμου δεν ξέρω τι γεύση έχει ... Πάντως α δώρα είναι υπέροχα !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your pancakes!!! yummy!!!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ωραία δωράκια!!
    πολύ γιάμι..(είναι και μεσημέρι..!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Πολύ όμορφα δωράκια Εύη!Μέ γεία καί καλοφάγωτα!Φιλιά!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just above the tab to comment was a previous post of yours regarding the movie Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn... Oh how I loved that movie. The newer one wasn't better, but I do own the newer version. William Holden and Humphrey Bogart together in one movie, o my breaking heart!!! ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab package! Love pumpkin pie! I can recommend the pie recipe on the pumpkin tin :)
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Right now , I'm into everything pumpkin...from soup to spicy pumpkin bread......so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful gift to show up on your doorstep. I've lived in the US for 20+ years and pumpkin pie isn't something that I've ever been tempted with. But so many people I know LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Enjoy all your little goodies. xx :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. τι φοβερά δωράκια!!! αχ, κι εγώ θέλω!!!! πολύ μου αρέσουν τα pancakes.. έχω αυτή τη συνταγή: http://beloved-ideas.blogspot.gr/2012/01/blog-post_11.html φιλάκια πολλά!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. στο γραψα και στο blog μου!! το νου μου εγώ στα pancakes!!! χα χα... επηρεάστηκα από το βιβλίο συνταγών!! χα χα.. δικαιολογίες ψάχνω! και είδα και το σχόλιο της oldthings και αναρωτιόμουν ποια κολοκυθόπιτα, που κολλάει? χα χα χα χα και τελικά εγώ είχα καταλάβει λάθος! :))) φιλάκια πολλά!!

      Delete
  13. Pumpkin Pie = Nasty tasting Egg Custard Tart. American food is vile.

    ReplyDelete

Awesome Followers

goodreads