Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Christmas Carol

 I was really young when I came across A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens for the first time. It was a cheap edition, which for some reason fascinated me. Some hours later, I refused to go from one room to the other on my own because the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come had terrified me. Despite the shock, the story had instantly become one of my favorites!


As a teenager, I bought a copy in English...


...and last year  I found a reproduction  of a 1916 manuscript on iBooks. Here's a screenshot of a sample page:


I'm also a big fan of the various adaptations of the story into film, whatever film this might be. So these are the ones I usually watch with my students before Christmas break:

5.  A Christmas Carol (1984)
(for older students)

4. Barbie in A Christmas Carol  
(for girls)

You can watch the entire movie here.

 3. Dora's Christmas Carol Adventure
(yes, I know, Dora is obnoxious, but children aged 6-9 always enjoy her show)

click on the picture to watch the trailer

2. The Smurfs: A Christmas Carol (2011)
(for children aged 10-13)

1. Mickey's A Christmas Carol
(my personal favorite! suitable for all ages)

 You can watch the entire movie here.

What are your favorite adaptations of this magical story?

12 comments:

  1. My favourite has got to be The Muppets Christmas Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ωραίο post!
    Αγαπώ τη χριστουγεννιάτικη ιστορία..!
    καλή συνέχεια!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Joy : the muppets' one!!!
    xxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Λατρεύω Μίκυ..οπότε.....!
    Ωραία ανάρτηση!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I didn't even know there were so many adaptations!
    I like the one with Patrick Stewart and also the Muppet version...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been a fan but my mom was. My favorite is the Mickey adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. προσωπικά όλα μου αρέσουν!! ότι έχει να κάνει με Χριστούγεννα και παραμύθι!!! Τα στρουμφάκια είναι από τα αγαπημένα μου βέβαια! :) φιλάκια!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the book and some of the TV adaptations we have had in the UK have been good.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Τα στρουμφάκια τη δεκαετία του '80 τα 'εβλεπε ο γιός μου και τον Σκρουζ Μακ Ντάκ που τον διάβαζα τη δεκαετία του '70 απο τα κόμικς , κούτες απο αυτά , μου έφεραν όμορφες αναμνήσεις Εύη μου . Να είσαι πάντα καλά !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you watched my favorite...White Christmas....love love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Τρελλαίνομαι γιά στρουφάκια Εύη μου!Ωραία ανάρτηση!!Καλη εβδομάδα!!Φιλάκια!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a stickler for tradition, I almost always prefer the books to the film and tv adaptations.
    Mickey's A Christmas Carol does look fun though!

    ReplyDelete

goodreads

Followers