Sunday, December 30, 2012

movies!

I decided to spend the remaining few days of 2012 taking a trip to the late '80s and early '90s, so I watched three films recommended to me by two fellow bloggers.

Moonstruck (1987)

recommended by Heidi

Although I'm not the biggest fan of Cher, this film was pleasant to watch. I  always enjoy seeing New York in the '80s, it's like comfort food for my eyes and mind, but I'm not sure why.
Also, it was fun to see Nicholas Cage so young and with a smile that was not as perfect as actors' smiles are nowadays. 

And let me add here that Cher's hair is my natural hair. Haha.
Despite the absurdity of the premise on which Cage's character's rage toward his brother was built on, the movie was all in all fun. And let's not forget Olympia Dukakis whom I really like.


Flesh and Bone (1993)

recommended by Paul (as well as the next one)

This one took me by surprise as I'm used to watching Meg Ryan in romantic comedies (with the exception of In The Cut which had thoroughly shocked me). Flesh and Bone is definitely not a romantic comedy, but rather the sad story of a man whose father was a brutal villain. The plot is depressing and although I would prefer a much different ending to Ryan and Quaid's relationship, at least I got the catharsis I needed when the father got what he deserved. The movie is set in Texas and the cheap motels, the dusty diners combined with the Texan accent make it even more convincing and realistic to me. It's definitely worth watching if you want to see Meg Ryan not as the girl-next-door, but as the abused wife who is trying to "figure out her next step".

Loved Ryan's dresses and her cowboy boots.

 


The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989)

I loved this one! Michelle Pfeiffer and Jeff Bridges... what is there not to like? I couldn't take my eyes off Susie Diamond's stylistic choices ('80s fashion was so horrendous that it never ceases to fascinate me!) and who could imagine Pfeiffer was such a talented singer?

Since it's New Year's Eve tomorrow, I suggest you click here and watch Pfeiffer give an astounding performance on a piano during her New Year's Eve show. Breathtaking!



Thank you Heidi and Paul for your recommendations and I'd love to hear some more! :)

11 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fantastic post, you've really made my Sunday!
    I haven't seen Moonstruck for years but I thought Cher was very good as an actress back in the eighties and early 90's.

    Now Flesh and Bone and The Fabulous Baker Boys are two of my favourites and I really enjoyed reading your opinions on those films especially regarding the fashions worn by Meg and Michelle.
    It always makes me smile when Beau Bridges says to Michelle "What did you think we were doing, going trick or treating?" when she shows up for her first gig with the Baker Boys".

    Thanks a lot Evi:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you Paul! Before reading your reviews on these movies I didn't even know they existed!
      Enjoy your Sunday! :)

      Delete
  2. Such good memories. It's fun to read your take on these movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girlfriends and I would always laugh over his hand......and your right Cher...not a fan either!
    and the old fart and his mistress....crazy!
    love Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I love Moon Struck with Cher and Nicholas Cage.What great memories.Enjoy,Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ωραίες ταινίες!Τίς έχω δή!!Αγαπημένος ο Νίκολας Κέιντζ καί η Μέγκ Ράιαν!!Καλή πρωτοχρονιά Εύη μου!Καλά νά περάσης!!Φιλάκια!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Πάλι όμορφες προτάσεις κάνεις..καλή πρωτοχρονιά και καλή χρονιά να έχουμε!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ευχαριστούμε για τις προτάσεις!
    Αυτές τις μέρες η προβολή ταινιών,είναι ιδανική!
    Καλή χρονιά εύχομαι!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ΩΡΑΙΕΣ ΤΑΙΝΙΕΣ! ΕΥΧΟΜΑΙ ΚΑΛΗ ΧΡΟΝΙΑ ΦΙΛΑΚΙΑ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year evi wishing you every health and happiness in 2013

    ReplyDelete
  10. Evi, means you have a beautiful curly hair then. I love curly..
    awesome N. Cage.
    Wishing you a happy New year Sweety!
    warmly hugs

    ReplyDelete

goodreads

Followers