Sunday, February 3, 2013

Argo (2012)

Movies that are so compelling should come with a warning for all of us teeth-clenchers!

Argo is exceptional.

the direction: Ben Affleck did an astonishing job directing this movie and I'm thoroughly surprised he hasn't been nominated for the Best Director Oscar. The scenes were so well tuned that the final result was everything I want to experience when I go to the movies: being enthralled from the first till the last minute.

the '70s: Although I'm in love with the '60s, the '70s depress me. Maybe it's the way facial hair was trimmed or the huge glasses men wore that can only be characterized as "creepy" in the modern world. However, the depiction of the late '70s-early '80s period was so convincing that for a moment I forgot the film was made in 2012.

the cast: I loved Alan Arkin as Lester Siegel. As for the rest of the actors, it seems that apart from Glenn Close and Rose Byrne, the rest of the Damages cast was there. (John Goodman, Victor Garber, Tate Donovan, Zljko Ivanek and sexy-despite-the-moustache Chris Messina). Also, Clea DuVall who appeared in American Horror Story: Asylum was another familiar face. And although I'm not a Ben Affleck fan, I enjoyed watching him too. They all did a good job conveying the agony and fear these people must have felt.

the music: perfect.


the plot: What an incredible story. If it wasn't true, I would probably say it was far-fetched. But it is true! Unbelievable!

Don't miss Argo!

11 comments:

  1. Nice review, I will try to see Argo! Thanks for sharing the trailer link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not seen Argo, but I do like Dire Straights. They're part of the soundtrack of my childhood.

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only heard good things about this movie. I'm sure my husband will want to see it. I don't go to the movies here because of censorship -- scenes are cut and it's just not worth it to pay. Led Zeppelin is one of my all-time favorite bands. Have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Καλησπέρα Εύη μου!Καλό μήνα!Οι Led Zeppelin,πολύ αγαπημένο μου συγκρότημα!!Τό ίδιο καί οι Dire Straights!!Τό έγο δέν τό έχω δή!Μού αρέση ο Ben Affleck!!!!Πολύ!!!Καλό βράδυ!!Φιλάκια!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer the one with Jason and all the skeletons running around with swords. If it doesn't have Heracles in it then I don't think I'll watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. το σκέφτομαι καιρό να πάω να δω το argo!
    μάλλον θα πάω τελικά..
    thanx for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a gripping movie. Thanks for including the trailer.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Evi,

    Here I am, sorry for my late this weekend..busy..busy.wow..what a film review,you are very expert in movies.
    Ben Affleck ?.mmm he is so gorgeous!
    have a nice week darl

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is on my must see list. Will have to rent as I missed it when it was out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so looking forward to seeing it. Everyone says itis brilliant . You would wonder why he has not got an Oscar nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Εύη μου , ευτυχώς έχουμε μια καλή ενημέρωση από σένα για τις ταινίες !
    Για τη μουσική δεν μπορώ να πω κάτι, μόνο ότι με αυτή μεγάλωσα ,αλλά εσύ
    δεν είσαι πολύ μικρή , για να τους ξέρεις τόσο καλά ??? Μου αρέσει όμως
    που έχεις καταπληκτική γνώμη για τις δεκαετίες , λες και έζησες μέσα σε
    αυτές τόσο έντονα . Το ήξερα , ότι είσαι ένα αξιοθαύμαστο παιδί !

    ReplyDelete

goodreads

Followers