Monday, February 25, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

"We often get caught in this state of negativity and it's a poison like nothing else."

"I'm going to take all this negativity, I'm going to use it as fuel to find a silver lining. That's what I'm gonna do."

Who knew Bradley Cooper had it in him? I would only classify him as bland before seeing his performance as bipolar Pat. He was convincing and he made me empathize and sympathize with him. Great job! 
I laughed a lot when Pat finished reading Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms.
 

Jennifer Lawrence won Best Actress Oscar for her portrayal of Tiffany, an equally "messed-up" character.  I'm not sure her performance was that amazing though, especially if I compare it to Meryl Streep's Margaret Thatcher that won last year. (Sometimes the decisions made by the Academy baffle me, like for example when Slumdog Millionaire  (2008) won Best Picture. Or the fact that Leonardo Di Caprio doesn't get the nominations he deserves.)


Silver Linings Playbook is a sweet movie which doesn't fail to convey the message that having a positive attitude and being optimistic, sometimes panglossian even, can help you get through dreadful experiences. Did I feel it was lagging at some points? Yes. Did I want to see some more passion between Pat and Tiffany? Yes. Did it remind me a little of Little Miss Sunshine (2006)? Yes.

Is it worth watching? Well, yes. 


20 comments:

  1. Ένα θα πω.."κατεβαίνει" ήδη..
    Καλή εβδομάδα!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Αντε, να το δεις και να μου πεις αν σου αρεσε!

      Delete
  2. I've been pleased to hear good things about Robert De Niro's work in Silver Linings Playbook. Shame he didn't win the Academy Award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell you the truth, Paul, I wasn't that impressed. I caught myself thinking that he was more enjoyable in Meet the Fockers.

      Delete
  3. Δέν τά έχω δεί Εύη μου!Μού αρέση ο Ντέ Νίρο!!Καλή εβδομάδα!!Φιλάκια!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Να τη δεις, νομιζω θα σου αρεσει!

      Delete
  4. It was a good movie although a little different than most chick flicks!
    Hope you have a great week Evi. ~ Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue!
      Nice seeing you here! How have you been?

      It was a good movie!

      Delete
  5. Κρίμα που δεν είδα την ανάρτησή σου νωρίτερα!
    Ήθελα πολύ να δω μια ταινία απόψε. Φαίνεται πολύ ενδιάφερουσα!
    Καλό ξημέρωμα!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Αν τη δεις πες μου αν σου αρεσε!

      Delete
  6. I want to see this one, thanks for your opinion Evi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. καλή εβδομάδα Εύη μου!! φιλάκια! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woot! Thanks for the shout-out there. I can't believe Lincoln didn't win best picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I loved "panglossian".
      I haven't seen Lincoln yet, but Argo was awesome.

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to seeing this and Argo as well I have not seen it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey I happened to be watching an old episode of Jeopardy just now (hopefully because you're Greek you don't realize how nerdy that is) and guess what question came up? Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY2H86Q2Wpw and skip to 5:15 to see. I guarantee you'll be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing!!
      I hope you don't mind if I post about it in the near future!
      And he pronounced it correctly, too! seSHta instead of seXta!
      Thank you E!

      Delete

goodreads

Followers