Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Safe Haven (2013)

Safe Haven is based on a Nicholas Sparks novel. It is better than other recent adaptations of his books, but (again) not as good as The Notebook (2004).

Why is it better than other recent adaptations of his books?

1. The cast. Of course I prefer Josh Duhamel to Zac Efron (I'm not 12) and of course I prefer Julianne Hough to Miley Cyrus (I'm not 9). The real gem in this movie, though, is Mimi Kirkland who plays young Lexie. The screen lights up every time she appears and everything about her is so natural; it's like you're watching your little niece, not a mini-actress!

2. The plot. It manages to escape the predictability of Sparks' stories. Yes, there is a widower who has lost his wife to cancer and lives in North Carolina. Yes, there is a new woman in town. But this time, both dark and supernatural elements have been added to the mix, rendering the final result more interesting.


Why isn't it as good as The Notebook?

1. The cast. Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams have raised the bar too high.

2. The plot. The ending may not appeal to the hard-core realist.

3. The canoe scene. Come on!! This scene does not even exist in the book and it's such an obvious effort to replicate the same Notebook scene, I couldn't believe my eyes. And to to make it worse, they added rain. Not cool.


If you want to spend a relaxing night in with some wine and popcorn, Safe Haven is a good choice. If you're looking for a more profound movie, you should probably opt for something else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s: I'm taking part in this very original giveaway organized by Demetria over at engrained. Go take a look!

18 comments:

  1. I watch movies through your eyes; it's been years since I've been to the theatre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)
      Thank you Jacqueline!
      I think this one is out on DVD, in case you wanted to watch it.

      Delete
  2. I saw Ryan Gosling recently in the film 'Blue Valentine', which charts a couple's relationship from courtship through to divorce. It was quite a harrowing watch (I felt thoroughly depressed after), but I was very impressed with him as an actor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I saw it some years ago. I felt it was lagging, though, on top of not being a fan of Michelle Williams. If you haven't seen The Notebook, though, give it a chance. People usually think it's another silly love story, but it's deeply moving.
      (And Ryan Gosling has a beard).

      Delete
    2. Apparently, I like using the word "though". :)

      Delete
    3. Though can be a useful word, though.

      Delete
  3. Δεν τυχαίνει να ενημερώνομαι για ταινίες, αλλά φαίνεται καλή κι ενδιαφέρουσα!Θα την έβλεπα ευχάριστα!
    Χαρούμενο απόγευμα να περάσεις!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Εδω θα βρεις αναρτησουλες για οσες ταινιες μου τραβηξαν το ενδιαφερον προσφατα. Αυτη ηταν ετσι κι ετσι. Καλο απογευμα και σ'εσενα!

      Delete
  4. I am not a Nicholas S fan, although I did read this book as one of my sisters gave it to me as a gift. I knew she'd ask about it, so I figured I could just sort of skim it. I ended up actually reading it. Not half bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a page-turner. However, there is a storyline he uses in all of his books and thus, the movies. I was watching this one with my husband and he asked: "Who's going to die this time?"

      Thanks for stopping by Maria! :)

      Delete
  5. Καλημέρα Εύη μου!Ακούγετε πολύ ενδιαφέρον η ταινία πού μάς προτείνης!Ανοίγουν σέ λίγο καιρό,τά καλοκαιρινά σινεμά τής περιοχής μας,καί δέν θά αφήσω,έργο γιά έργο!!Εχης φιλάκια από τήν Φ....!!Νά περνάς καλά!!Καλό Σ/Κ!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Καλο Σαββατοκυριακο! :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the reviews. I was curious about this movie and your review helped me.
    I like reading personal reviews rather than those that are written by people paid
    to write about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure a professional reviewer would classify my movie posts as 'reviews'. I almost never follow the typical review form, I just write my opinion. What I don't like about actual reviews is that a very big part of them is the description of the plot. Why would I read 3 paragraphs about the plot of a film when it's there to be watched?

      Having said all this, I'm glad you found this post helpful! Enjoy the weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. Your right, the notebook.....just can't be beat! My hubby even cried after, shhhhh
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm like Jacquelineand in that I rarely watch any new release movies, although I do enjoy your reviews. As a result I barely know who Zac Efron or Miley Cyrus are; but I did smile at your comments on their respective fanbases.
    Have you seen Ryan Gosling in Drive? I actually own that on DVD, after several people recommended it to me. It's very stylish if occasionally ultra-violent, but I enjoyed it.

    Anyway before I go I just wanted to say sorry for being a stranger over here this week. Life sometimes gets in the way, but I'm sure you know I would never deliberately ignore you!

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just google them and you'll see what I mean. :)
      I haven't watched Drive yet, although I've been meaning to for quite some time.

      There's no reason to be sorry! I hope life got in the way in a good way! I was very happy to read a brand new post of yours today. Are you planning to watch any other movies this weekend?

      Delete

Awesome Followers

goodreads