Wednesday, July 17, 2013

New York: museums, food and walking around

The first time we were in NY, we had skipped the big museums and went to less famous ones instead. Now, with all the heat outside, a huge air-conditioned place with all kinds of exhibits seemed like the ideal way to spend the day.

First, we visited The Metropolitan Museum of Art. It reminded me of the Louvre in Paris. Also, it made me wonder... if so many Egyptian and Greek objects are spread around the world, what is actually left in Egypt and Greece? These two sections seemed to be the most popular in the museum. I really enjoyed the American Wing, though, with all the 18th and 19th century rooms. I couldn't get enough of the furniture and the decoration.



If you know me, you know that modern art is really not my cup of tea. Especially when you have to pay 25$ to see it. (25 dollars???seriously?) There's enough shit as it is in our every day lives; why should I pay to see it framed? Writing these lines, I have a very specific exhibit in mind. It consisted of huge metal bottles that were labeled: mucus, vomit, diarrhea and so on. Why? WHY??

We decided to go to the MoMA mainly because a friend recommended the Rain Room. It is a room where it rains but when you walk inside you don't get wet; water doesn't touch you. However, it was the only thing we didn't get to see as one of the employees informed us that there was a 5-hour wait and that people start lining up at 6am.

These are some works of art I really enjoyed. When I taught in Greece, I often used the Moma Art Safari with my students, so I was glad to come across one of the paintings in the museum.



When it comes to eating in NY, the choices are unlimited. Name it and they will have it. The first day, though, we made the mistake of going to a Trader Joe's to buy some yogurt and fruit. I couldn't believe my eyes! The line of people waiting to pay was gigantic; it went around the entire store! I had never seen 200 people waiting in line at a grocery store before. It was much easier to get a place in the line and do your shopping as you went, one step at a time. You don't believe me? Take a look:

it went on and on
 Then, on a different day, we came across the Magnolia Bakery. We gave it a try and the banana bread pudding was actually really good.


After we had eaten the pudding, I googled the bakery because I was trying to remember why it is so famous. But what comes up first? Some months ago it had been shut down for a few days over mouse infestation. Oh New York... that's why I don't like you. To be fair though, it's one of the cutest bakeries I've seen. 

Before taking the ferry to Staten Island, I was in the mood for a Greek pita. So we went to a place called Souvlaki GR. You can visit their website here. Despite the fact that my pita was teeny tiny compared to what I would get in Greece, it was really tasty! They also had my favorite sparkling water and the fries were real, not those frozen ones they usually serve.

our short trip to Greece

The last food picture is from a flea market in Queens. I didn't have a donut but they looked delicious.


Walking around in extreme heat is not ideal, but it's much better than waiting in the subway where the temperature must be 50 degrees Celsius (thank God the trains are air-conditioned) or taking a taxi and seeing your life flash before your eyes every time the driver changes lanes.
These are a few snapshots of various places around the city.








20 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, i visited New York when I was in my early 20's I had the best time I would love to go back sometime, enjoy! Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Αααα ζηλεύω (το ξαναλέω)!!! Υπέροχες φωτογραφίες! Σε ευχαριστούμε που μας τις δείχνεις και έστω και για λίγο μεταφερόμαστε εκεί μαζί σου!
    Φιλάκια :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ευχαριστω που περασες Rylie! :)

      Delete
  3. Ewwwwwww mice!!! not nice but how very New York :o) So why was the queue so big at Trader Joes? I don't get it...it's good but not that good...did you stay and queue?? New York looks like fun though, lucky girl xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the looks on people's faces (sheer boredom), I figured this was a typical day at the Upper West Side Trader Joe's. Yes, I waited because I hadn't noticed there was another store almost next to the hotel (stupid Evi). When we went back out, people were lining up to get in!! I'm writing it and I still can't believe it.

      Delete
  4. Πανέμορφες όλες οι φωτογραφίες σου Εύη μου!!!
    200 άτομα στήν ουρά?Μόνο στήν ΝΥ θά μπορούσε νά συμβεί!!!
    Αλλά καί τό ελληνικό στοιχείο,επικρατεί παντού!!!
    Πάντα έτσι όμορφα νά περνάς!!!
    Φιλάκια έχης καί από τήν Φλώρα!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Μη τα ρωτατε, ολο το μαγαζι μια ουρα και υπαλληλοι με πινακιδες να μας δειχνουν προς τα που να παμε και που πρεπει να χωριστουμε γιατι σε καποιο σημειο γινοταν διπλη. Δεν ηξερα αν επρεπε να κλαψω η να γελασω...

    Χαιρετισματα να δωσετε κι εσεις στη Φλωρα! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live vicariously through you haha. Thanks.

    I really enjoyed your pictures - the food ones were a lot of fun! I can't imagine being willing to wait in line at a grocery store for that long!! Is Trader Joe's something special?? Also, sorry about your discovery of a past mouse infestation - I would have had a tough time getting past that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trader Joe's promotes organic and in general healthier products. It's a good store but what was happening in there was pure madness. I mean, what is your quality of life if you have to work 10 hours/day and then wait for 2 hours at the store and finally get to a tiny overpriced apartment that's been there since the 19th century?
      This is what I mean when I say this city is way overrated.

      Delete
  7. Merci de ta visite,je découvre ainsi ton blog et en plus avec une visite de New York que j'adore.
    Amicalement,

    Manon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Banana bread pudding! That sounds heavenly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and commenting! :)

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed this tour of New York - a great selection of photos to show us too. The banana bread pudding sounds delicious but I probably would have opted for a red velvet cupcake (or maybe both!)
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many options and everything looked delicious! So we went for the pudding that was in the fridge because it was a very hot day. It was so refreshing! :)

      Delete
  10. Oh my need to see it one day ;)

    ReplyDelete

goodreads

Followers