Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Shakespeare, crime and heat

Let's start with last Thursday's movie...

Much Ado About Nothing (2012)

I like original ideas. Joss Whedon, who has also directed The Avengers (2012), has created a black and white movie that takes place in the modern world, but all the actors speak Shakespearean.

Being a non-native speaker, it took me about 15 minutes to get used to Shakespeare's English. The truth is I was a little frustrated in the beginning, and I remembered all those times I had discreetly avoided the Shakespeare course when I was a student. When my ear finally adjusted to the different words, I was able to enjoy this very entertaining film. It is a modern adaptation that respects the original play without even one tiny hint of pretentiousness.
  


 On Saturday, we went to a museum I had spotted during my first ever walk in DC: The Crime Museum. I used to watch Investigation Discovery even when I was in Greece, so I really wanted to visit this place. I didn't take many pictures, because although it's a very interesting museum, some of the exhibits are a little morbid. You go through the history of crime, from the Wild West to the Great Depression mob, to infamous serial killers. You see how the various methods of punishing crime have evolved through the years and there is also an exhibition that takes you through the steps police takes to solve homicides. You can see the crime scene, the morgue etc. Towards the end there is a cold case section where you can read about cases that haven't been solved yet and there is also an exhibition dedicated to dog fighting (which is a crime).

The most interesting part however, was the forensics workshop. We were divided into groups and we had to solve a homicide based on forensic evidence. Three forensics students were there to guide us. We compared fibers, we looked at DNA evidence, blood spatter, fingerprints and then we had to use all this evidence when reading the suspects' alibis to see who was telling the truth.

I never volunteer in such settings, because I'm too self-conscious and afraid I will say/do the wrong thing, but when they asked for three people to reconstruct the blood spatter from the murder weapon, I offered to be one of them. (I've watched so much Dexter). It turns out, I didn't do it right and one of the forensics students had to come help me, but I really enjoyed it.


In a nutshell, if you're into Dexter, CSI, Law and Order, NCIS etc. you will love this museum.


When we went back out, the heat was unbearable. We found ourselves in the Sculpture Garden. People were trying to cool off in the giant fountain. It was so hot, I stepped out of my comfort zone for the second time that day and...
yes, I cropped my feet out

These were last week's adventures. What have you been up to?

19 comments:

  1. Hello Evi,

    nice summer activities you have been passed trough.
    mmmmm..me counting the day ;)LOL laying on the bed most of time.
    wishing you have a great week dear Evi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're feeling better Ayu! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Καλησπέρα Εύη μου!Καλό μήνα!!
    Είδα τό τρέιλερ τής ταινίας,δέν μέ ενθουσίασε μπορώ νά πώ!!!
    Θά προτιμούσα όμως τό μουσείο!!!Εβλεπα Dexter καί εγώ!!!!
    Η τελευταία φωτό,φοβερή σέ χρώματα!!!!!Καλά νά περνάς κοριτσάκι!!!Φιλάκια!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Η ταινια θα σου αρεσει αν σ'αρεσι ο Shakespeare. Εμενα να φανταστεις, δε μ'αρεσει πολυ αλλα η ταινια ειχε πλακα.

      Dexter ξεκινησε η τελευταια σεζον εδω την προηγουμενη Κυριακη!

      Καλο Σαββατοκυριακο!

      Delete
  3. Καλημέρα Εύη μου και καλό μήνα !Πως είστε ? Από ότι βλέπω οι δραστηριότητες αυξάνονται !!!
    Σε Μουσείο Εγκλημάτων χρειάζεται αρκετό θάρρος και ψυχραιμία και από ότι φαίνεται πειραματίζεσαι με το θέμα !Εύχομαι να είσαι πάντα καλά .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Το εχουν φτιαξει ετσι ωστε να ειναι family friendly που λενε κι αυτοι εδω. Εγω βεβαια αν ειχα παιδι δε θα το πηγαινα στο συγκεκριμενο μουσειο, αλλα υπηρχαν πολλα μικρουλια.

      Καλα ειμαστε! Ελπιζω κι εσεις! Καλο Σαβ/κο!

      Delete
  4. Καλημέρα!Είδα το trailer και η ταινία φαίνετε να έχει πολύ ενδιαφέρον!Θα ήθελα να τη δω!Το μουσείο φαίνετε υπέροχο,αν και δεν ξέρω σίγουρα αν θα το άντεχα,μου αρέσει που έχει και δραστηριότητες!Η φωτογραφία απο το συντριβάνι φανταστική!
    Τέλος να σου πω οτι ως τις 5-7 έχω διαγωνισμό με δώρο εκπτωτικά κουπόνια και γυαλιά ηλίου ή οράσεως!Αν σε ενδιαφέρει μπορείς να ρίξεις μια ματιά εδώ
    http://handmade-by-spyridoula.blogspot.gr/2013/06/firmoo-glasses-giveaway-international.html
    Φιλάκια πολλά και να περνάς υπέροχα!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Να τη δεις, ειναι αναλαφρη και καλοκαιρινη! Ελπιζω να ειμαι τυχερη στο giveaway. Καλο Σαβ/κο!

      Delete
  5. A couple of years ago, I was in Paris (to do some research), and while I was there, I went to see an exhibition at the Musée d'Orsay on 'crime and punishment'. I think you would've liked that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RYC: Originally, the 30 day challenge was when a blogger wrote one post per day, for 30 days, and to make that easier he/she followed a list of questions, one question per day. If you search around on Google I bet you'll run into a lot of these 30 day blog challenges.

      My quest for this month is to post a picture, every single day, for 30 days, and write a couple of lines underneath. It's nothing big but it's something to keep me entertained while I'm working on my thesis :)

      Delete
    2. RYC: Stepping outside my comfort zone wasn't really easy, I mean, I didn't even know who this man was! Yet there I was, with that sweet letter, and I really felt I had to reply to him. I'm still glad I did, eventhough it didn't turn into anything, really. But it was a lovely experience I like telling about :)

      Delete
    3. The Musee d'Orsay exhibition looks cool!

      Stepping out of my comfort zone feels liberating but I still can't do it all the time. I loved what he wrote about his heart beating fast when he saw you. :)

      Enjoy the weekend Bibi!

      Delete
    4. You can read French? That's so great! I was wondering how many people would be able to read it :) Enjoy your weekend too, Evi!

      Delete
  6. Πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα φαίνεται η ταινία από το τρέιλερ!
    Όταν βγει στο νέτφλιξ θα τη δούμε :)
    Πάντως στο μουσείο εκεί μπροστά στα αίματα μια χαρά σε βλέπω, σοβαρή σοβαρή, σαν επιστήμων
    χε χε ;) Φιλάκια κοριτσάκι, happy fourth of July !!
    ps. έχει μια υγρασία εδώ, όταν βγαίνεις έξω είναι σαν να μπαίνεις σε σάουνα..
    λέμε να πάμε για μπάνιο αν δε βρέχει.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Χαχα, τι επιστημονας! Τα κανα ολα λαθος γιατι δεν προσεχα πολυ οταν τα εξηγουσε! Κ το χειροτερο ηταν οτι τελικα το γαλλικο κλειδι που ειχα εγω ηταν το οπλο του εγκληματος κ επειδη δεν πετυχαινα το pattern, ηρθε κ το κανε αυτος για να μπορουμε να συγκρινουμε με τη σταμπα απ'τον τοπο του εγκληματος. Ο,τι να 'ναι!

      Delete
  7. Busy packing and travelling to my summer home so not much blogging. Sounds like a fun event

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're having fun! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I'm impressed at how quickly you adjusted to Shakespearean expression - many native speakers struggle. I will have to check that movie out! Thanks for the idea. I've got to find ways to spend my summer well, as I have it all off (perks of being a teacher). Sadly, in my small prairie, Canadian town, there isn't much to amuse or stimulate anyone. I look to books and blogs for that sometimes haha!
    Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I came here, I lived in a village near a small town. We had tried almost everything it had to offer, so I know what you mean!
      I recommend all Marian Keyes' novels! You'll enjoy reading them!

      Delete

Awesome Followers

goodreads