Thursday, September 26, 2013

movie mix

Good movies, bad movies, old movies, new movies... This is my September movie mix.

1. Jobs (2013)
The reason I wanted to watch this biopic is because my iPad is the extension of my hand, which is funny, because at some point in the movie Steve Jobs (Ashton Kutcher) uses the same expression to describe Apple products.

It was a disappointing film. First of all, it seemed very incoherent, jumping from one phase of Jobs' life to the next without any kind of explanation for the viewer who has not read Jobs' biography. Secondly, Ashton Kutcher's strong physical resemblance to Steve Jobs didn't make up for his inadequate acting skills. Kutcher's performance seemed to be more of a parody in some scenes. Finally, the story stops in the 90s, long before the iPod, iPad and iPhone were launched. That's too bad because I was expecting to see this part of Jobs' life too.

Jobs is not worth paying a ticket for.


 2. The Skeleton Key (2005)

 I chose to watch The Skeleton Key because it was free on my on-demand service, so my expectations were very low. But I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was perfect for a quiet, cloudy, early fall afternoon. 

Kate Hudson plays Caroline, a hospice nurse in New Orleans, who is hired by an elderly lady (Gena Rowlands) and her lawyer (Peter Sarsgaard) to look after the former's husband (John Hurt) who has -supposedly- suffered a stroke. When she gets to the creaky house, though, she discovers an attic full of dark secrets and black magic spells.

What's not to like? I'm used to seeing Kate Hudson in romantic comedies so her performance here was a welcome change. Gena Rowlands is simply amazing! The story could have been far-fetched, as happens with most movies of this kind, but it manages to remain plausible up until the end and then there's a nice twist. Finally, New Orleans is not the most common setting for Hollywood movies, so I was pleasantly surprised. What better location could there be for a film about black magic than a rainy, gloomy, muddy, swampy plantation? (By the way, I'm excited about the new season of American Horror Story which is also set in New Orleans!)

In a nutshell, The Skeleton Key is not a masterpiece but rather a great way to spend a rainy afternoon with a hot cup of chocolate and a cozy little blanket. (Isn't that what fall is all about?)


 3. Casablanca (1942)

Shame on me!! I just watched Casablanca in 2013 for the first time! Well... my expectations were very high but I wasn't blown away, I just liked it very much. When it comes to cinematic milestones like this one, I feel too small to talk, so I won't say anything else. I could easily watch it again.










4. Closed Circuit (2013)

 Closed Circuit is a thought-provoking thriller about a terrorist attack in London. Things get more complicated than they already are when two lawyers (Eric Bana,Rebecca Hall), discover the real truth about the mastermind of the attack and try to unveil an enormous cover-up. It is a very realistic and thus, believable story. However, if you're not familiar with the British judicial system, you may be a little confused as I was. Too much jargon, too many wigs. I can't say I didn't like it, though. And London is always a beautiful setting for films like this one.







5. How to Steal a Million (1966)

Sweet Audrey... I can never get enough of her! Always so beautiful and stylish beyond words...

How to Steal a Million  is one of the most entertaining films I've ever seen! It's brilliant! Splendid music, terrific humor, so much color! It truly is a work of art.







6. Annie Hall (1977)


A good Woody Allen movie is always such a delightful experience. He employs his brilliant directing skills and his well-known sense of humor to explore the every day life a modern couple. Annie Hall is a 36-year-old movie, but it could have easily been created in 2013; amusing from beginning to end.









What about you?
Have you seen anything interesting lately?


p.s: All pictures are taken from Google Images; click on the movie title for the trailer.

18 comments:

  1. We are most certainly "movie twins" - I love all of those - Casablanca. Classic. The best movie I've seen recently was re-watching The English Patient. One of my all time favs. Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a long time ago! maybe I need to re-watch it too. Thanks for stopping by Keith!

      Delete
  2. I love Casablanca!!! ...and How to steal a Million of course!!!

    hihi

    Chadlen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Τό 3 καί τό 5!!!Λατρεμένα!!!
    Εχθές πέρασα από τόν Ορφέα,στήν Σαρωνίδα,καί ζήλεψα!!!
    Καλό Σ/Κ Εύη μου!!!Φιλάκια!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ακομα ανοιχτο ειναι; Δεν επιασε ψυχρουλα;

      Καλο Σαββατοκυριακο!

      Delete
  4. Τις 2,3,6 έχω δει! Η 2η μου άρεσε και εμένα αν και τα σχόλια που είχα ακούσει τότε ήταν κυρίως αρνητικά! Η 6η είναι από τις (λίγες) αγαπημένες μου του Woody Allen! Τώρα για την Casablanca τι να πω! Την αγαπώ! Δεν είναι κάτι το ιδιαίτερο σαν ιστορία, αλλά οι ερμηνείες και μόνο καλύπτουν όλα τα άλλα και την κάνουν το αριστούργημα που είναι! Την 5η με την αγαπημένη Audrey δεν την έχω δει... Την ψάχνω αλλά δε τη βρίσκω :(
    Σε φιλώ γλυκιά Εύη <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Αχ, αυτα τα σχολια. Σχεδον ποτε δε συμφωνω με τις γνωμες αλλων, κυριως επαγγελματιων, για ταινιες κ βιβλια. Θα συμφωνησω απολυτα για την Καζαμπλανκα! Και μονο που βλεπεις Ινγκριντ Μπεργκμαν δεν εχεις παραπονο! Εμενα μαρεσουν αρκετες Γουντι Αλλεν, αλλα ειναι γεγονος πως καποιες δε βλεπονται με τιποτα. Ελπιζω να τη βρεις, ειναι τοσο ευχαριστη και γλυκια! Θα σ'αρεσει πιστευω! :)

      Ευχαριστω που περασες! Καλο Σαββατοκυριακο!

      Delete
  5. Great reviews. I've missed seeing 'How To Steal A Million". I've got to see this especially after your great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! It's such a pleasant movie to watch! You won't regret it!

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen any of these, which is surprising because I always enjoy watching Bogart and I agree with you that Gena Rowlands is amazing.
    I watched 'Sweet Smell of Success' for the first time this week, and I also re-watched 'Lone Star',which was a film I saw at the cinema back in the mid 90s. It's a real slow-burner but well worth watching for the cast and the pay off at the end.

    Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know that I'm not the only one to have watched Casablanca so recently. :)

      I'll look the movies you watched up and I'll have them in mind.

      As always, a pleasure to see you here!

      Delete
  7. Great mix of movies. I'll need to look out for them. Finally got round to watching Argo recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you like it? I thought it was very good; you can read my opinion here http://sexta-feira-sexta-feira.blogspot.com/2013/02/argo-2012.html

      Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  8. Την ταινία του Jobs την είδα και γω πριν μερικές μέρες. Η αλήθεια ειναι πως σε μερικά σημεία είχα απορίες και ρωτούσα τον JoJo να μου εξηγήσει. Την επόμενη μέρα τη σκεφτόμουν. Μου έκανε εντύπωση. Δεν απογοητεύτηκα, προφανώς γιατι δεν έχω διαβάσει τη βιογραφια σε αντίθεση με τον συγκατοικο που παίζει να την ξέρει απ εξω. Αλλα ναι θα ήθελα κ γω να έφτανε στην iPhone εποχή. Περίμενα πως κάπως έτσι θα έκλεινε.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Συμφωνουμε. Καποια στιγμη συνειδητοποιησα πως η ωρα ειχε ποερασει και ημασταν ακομα στα 90ς. Εκει εχασα καθε ελπιδα.

      Delete

Awesome Followers

goodreads