Friday, December 27, 2013

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

Have you ever wished you could be a multi-millionaire? Have you ever dreamed of an enormous mansion, a super-expensive car and people serving you? A yacht? Your own helicopter maybe?

Martin Scorsese's new film, The Wolf of Wall Street, will make you change your mind and appreciate the fact that you are not one of the wealthiest people on the planet. Scorsese has managed to sum up what ambition, greed and corruption can do to a person who is unscrupulous when it comes to lying and exploiting other people so as to accumulate as much wealth possible, without a second thought about the repercussions of his actions. He "sells garbage to garbage" in a twisted version of the American dream in the land of opportunity. The film is based on the true story of Jordan Belfort who is played by my all time favorite, Leonardo Dicaprio.

If you are like me and haven't really understood how Wall Street works, this movie is a great way to get an insider's look at the absurdity of it all. Belfort is the omniscient narrator and he addresses the viewer directly. It is amazing how his way of telling the story is so pleasant, but the viewer still cannot empathize with him. Scorsese manages to make the megalomaniac Belfort ridicule himself, which may not have been what the real Belfort was aiming at by writing his two memoirs. Be prepared for abundant sex, drugs and wild partying; you will probably feel disgusted, you will probably get the urge to facepalm yourself more than a few times and you will probably laugh a lot, too. There were moments when I felt I was watching The Great Gatsby with Gatsby/Belfort as a degenerate who is driven by his love of money instead of by his love for Daisy.

Leonardo DiCaprio is an extremely talented actor. We know that anyway. With his performance as Jordan Belfort his acting skills take off. Words cannot really describe how astonishing he is. There were scenes where I felt like giving him a standing ovation. I do hope he wins the Golden Globe and I want to see him nominated for an Oscar this year, too.
 
The rest of the cast is astounding, as well. Each and every one performance is a vital piece of this great movie. Matthew McConaughey, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie, Rob Reiner and Kyle Chandler give it their best.

The soundtrack doesn't go unnoticed, either.

Do not miss The Wolf of Wall Street!

   


17 comments:

  1. Leonardo Dicaprio is such a great actor! He was simply amazing in The Great Gatsby. Sounds like a pretty good movie I'll be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the best! ;) thank you for reading, Tori!

      Delete
  2. I will so have to check this out as I have followed some of the ins and outs of the corruption on Wall Street which has always left me baffled that our country allows these behaviors to continue. The cast looks outstanding and yes I can tell that I will be covering my face at times! Thanks for sharing this one friend! Happy Weekend to you!! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Yes, you should definitely check it out! ;)

      Delete
  3. Καλημέρα Εύη μου!!! Λατρεύω Leonardo Dicaprio!!!Φαίνεται πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα η ταινία!!!Θά φροντίσω νά τήν δώ!!!
    Καλό Σ/Κ!!!Φιλάκια!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Αγαπω Leonardo! Να τη δειτε οπωσδηποτε!

      Delete
  4. Ακούγεται πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα ταινία! Ακόμη μια στη λίστα για να δούμε (να δούμε πότε?) ! Σ' ευχαριστούμε που τη μοιράστηκες ! Πολλά φιλιά !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Τη συγκεκριμενη δες τη αμεσα, αξιζει! Ευχαριστω που περασες! :)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed WoW as I do most Scorsese/DiCaprio pairings. As great as Leo was, I gotta say Jonah Hill stole the show for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jonah Hill was very good too. But Leonardo DiCaprio is my personal favorite and I 've had a little crush on him for 15 years! :)

      Thanks for reading and commenting, do drop by again!

      Delete
  6. I know you love Leo and he seems to be Scorcese's go-to guy now that De Niro's getting a bit long in the tooth.
    The Wolf of Wall Street has certainly got a fabulous cast, although I read one blogger who was furious about " the copious amount of nudity and sex and the 500+ F-bombs (just F-bombs mind you)."
    What did he expect from a Scorcese film?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I love him!! :)

      There definitely were lots of (kinky) sex scenes and F-bombs, but in my opinion, they just contributed to making the movie what it is, so I didn't really mind.

      Thank you for reading, Paul!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you make me really want to see it now! It'll be interesting to see DiCaprio play someone so risqué. To be perfectly honest, I'm looking most forward to seeing Jonah Hill! He was amazing in Moneyball, and he's one of my favourite comedic actors :)
    Great review Evi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :) Thanks for stopping by, Ben!

      Delete
  8. The Wolf of ... but ... Evie ... I'm confused ... I thought you didn't like Leo di Cap? Didn't you once write that he's "an overrated, over-egoed, over-paid Hollywood pretty boy"? Wasn't it you that wrote that? Or I am thinking of another blogger? : o )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eddie.

      (You added an e to my name. What's next? An extra v?)

      I'll only say Titanic was on 3 times last week, and I watched most of it all 3 times.

      But, seriously now, "overrated" is not an adjective that could describe DiCaprio.

      Delete
    2. I'm pretty sure you said that at some point Eeveviie. And I never make mistakes : o )

      Delete

goodreads

Followers