Friday, January 17, 2014

August: Osage County (2013)

Working with a stellar cast, director John Wells and writer Tracy Letts deliver a stunning film. The rural landscape of Oklahoma turns into a series of beautiful paintings that serve as the background to the story of a very dysfunctional family.

First, take a look at that rotten family tree. Violet (Meryl Streep) is married to author Beverly Weston (Sam Shepard). They have three daughters: Barbara (Julia Roberts), Ivy (Julianne Nicholson) and Karen (Juliette Lewis). Barbara is married to Bill (Ewan McGregor) and they have a teenage daughter (Abigail Breslin). Ivy seems suspiciously secretive about her love life and Karen is engaged to Steve (Dermot Mulroney). Violet's sister, (Margo Martindale), and her husband (Chris Cooper) are parents to Little Charles (Benedict Cumberbatch). And then, of course, there is a housekeeper (Misty Upham).

Now, add suicide, cancer, alcoholism, drug addiction, divorce, cheating, marijuana, incest, bitterness, disappointment, and wry humor.

Then, let the actors work their magic as mayhem ensues.

Meryl Streep is breathtaking as the bitter (and kind of evil) matriarch who cares only about herself and money. Every time she speaks, it's either a venomous comment or mean sarcasm. (In one word, she's a bitch). Meryl Streep must win the Oscar again. Watch Mamma Mia (2008) or It's Complicated (2009), then watch Osage County. I think the Academy should make an award just for her, so that the other actresses will have a fair chance too. 

The rest of the cast give spectacular performances as well. I don't want to write many details about the plot, because you have to see it for yourselves. It's one of those movies you do not want to miss.

10 comments:

  1. Wow that is a stellar cast.
    Glad you're back posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so looking forward to watch this one.

    There isn't a single meh actor or actress in it. I love them all. Big Fan of them all.

    And H-U-G-E fan of Meryl Streep I'm so loving her working. More lately... I thought I was over my fan crush on her but then one day she just popped up in Vogue and, well, I wasn't so over her and the crush...

    She reminds me of that childish rhyme "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" in the way that she embraces age, time, the lines, the roundness of curves that weren't there when I feel in love, and keeps showing she's unbreakable. Unbeatable in the genre.

    Don't want her to win the Oscar (I know I shouldn't lie ahahahah) just for that reason alone but it's so inspiring... you're not there - won't be for long - but once you start ageing you feel empowered and inspired by these examples :).

    Coming from a disfunctional family - and that's a mild word for mine - I think it would do me a really good job watching it - less expensive than therapy and I can think "I'm Julia" - that's good too ahahahaha

    Wishing you a lovely weekend. Warm. Safe and Loved.

    Yours,

    Teresa


    Sorry :) long comment (winter always make me more talkative and friends end up taking the brunt of it ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to watch it!!!!!
    happy weekend, xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom went to see it tonight and I have been so curious about basically because it is a stellar cast. I am convinced now from your post that I should go see it! A very happy weekend to you friend!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this movie and your review is right on. I didn't like it as much as you did but not because of the acting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interestin movie! The cast seems to be full of stars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything Meryl Streep is in. I think she's the best actress of the last 50 years. I must see this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Μπαίνει κατευθείαν στη λίστα μου!
    Φιλιά πολλά!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Αγάπη!!! Σου έχω βραβειάκι!!!!!!
    http://mayuminights.blogspot.gr/2014/01/liebster-award.html
    Φιλάκια πολλά πολλά!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hell yeah! So glad you loved this movie as much as I did. It's easily one of the best movies of 2013!! And Meryl was sensational! She is my second favourite for the Oscar, behind Cate Blanchett :) I also adored Roberts and the rest of the cast too :)

    ReplyDelete

Awesome Followers

goodreads