Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)

I'm glad that The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was the first movie of the year for me. Not because it is a cinematic masterpiece, but because the message it conveys is, in my opinion, "the quintessence of life": make your dreams come true, don't just use them as a means to escape your dull reality. YOU CAN.


Let's start from the beginning.

If you read this blog regularly, you know that far-fetched stories are not my cup of tea. However, in this case, the trailer sold the film for what it is, so I knew what I was in for. Also, the song of the trailer was one of those that make me impatient about seeing the whole thing.


Ben Stiller is Walter Mitty. He is a sad character whose life is only interesting when he zones out and daydreams. He has let life's hardships get the better of him and he doesn't even dare speak up when his rude colleagues bully him mercilessly. I enjoyed Stiller's performance, mostly because it was out of his usual repertoire of comedic characters. I really felt sorry for Walter in the beginning and I gladly followed his journey as he realized his dreams, made bold decisions and discovered his own strength.

Ben Stiller is also the director of this movie and he has done a wonderful job. The film is fast-paced but each scene is beautifully put together. The stunning landscapes help toward this direction and, all in all, the final result is visually impressive. One of the scenes that stands out is when Walter skateboards in Iceland. I could almost feel the freezing air on my cheeks.

The soundtrack is excellent. One of the most empowering moments in the film is when Kristen Wiig, who plays Walter's crush, sings Bowie's Space Oddity.

In a nutshell, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is very pleasant and it's a great way to start 2014 movie-wise. 
 
 "To see the world, 
things dangerous to come to, 
to see behind walls, 
to draw closer, 
to find each other 
and to feel. 
That is the purpose of Life."



22 comments:

  1. Αχ πολύ χαίρομαι που σου άρεσε, γιατί έχουμε το ίδιο γούστο στις ταινίες και εγώ ανυπομονώ να τη δω!!!
    Καλή Χρονιά Εύηηη!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling, great minds think alike! I also made this my first film to see in the new year - as its about living dreams and goals (kinda like my blog...) I also loved the scenery and the music. I think Stiller did well with this film, its a little silly in parts but the sweet moments and the inspirational moments more than make up for it. Lovely Film xxx PS happy new year x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Evi, thank you for this great review. I wasn't sure about going to see this movie, but now I think I will. Thank you :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Καλή χρονιά Εύη μου!!!Ο Ben Stiller είναι ένας από τούς αγαπημένους μου ηθοποιούς!!Εχω δεί τό τρέηλερ τής ταινίας,καί είναι μέσα στίς επόμενες πού δώ!!Καλό βράδυ!!!Φιλάκια!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Α Έύη φαίνεται ενδιαφέρον με πολύ ωραίο μήνυμα!!! Φιλάκια!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great to hear, I'm really looking forward to seeing this at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review. It sounds a movie that I must see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've talked me into it. I was going to skip this. I've seen '12 Years a Slave' and American Hustle' already this year and I thought I was done for the week but I have to see this one, now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few people in my family want to see this, so I think I'll probably end up seeing it at some point - I think it looks quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mμμμμ, τέλεια...θέλω να την δω...αλλά να δούμε πότε θα τη φέρει εδώ... :(

    Chadlen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Evi and Happy New Year to you, thank you for our Christmas message, so sweet of you to think of us- hope you had a lovely festive season too. We have all been sick for pretty much the past two weeks but am feeling better today, even thinking about blogging again! Although not sure if I can be bothered...hahahahhaaaa. Hope you are good and I wish you the best 2014 possibly :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhh!!! Είδα το trailer!!! Πολύ ιδιαίτερη ταινία!!
    Ανυπομονώ να την δω!!!!
    2014 wishes only for you,my sweetie-pie!!!!!!
    Φιλάκια πολλά πολλά!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Πρέπει να ειναι υπέροχη η ταινία! Ειχα δει το τρέιλερ και θέλω πολύ να πάω να τη δω! Ωραιο review!! :) Φιλιά!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you know that there's a typo in your blog's header? I was always just confused by the quote, but now I realize that it's supposed to be "word," not "world."

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a bit late to comment, but here I am at last! *crowds cheer*

    I liked "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", actually, quite a lot. But I don't see a lot of new movies, so what do I know. Anyhow, the music was great, and Ben Stiller wasn't annoying (on the contrary, he was quite diverting and interesting most times), and the story was pretty great too. Can't go wrong with the "zero to hero" formula.

    Felt kind of meh about the other characters though. Kristen Wiig might maybe not really have been the right choice. But then I keep seeing her as the jealous bridesmaid so maybe she seems more serious when you haven't seen her in a comedy before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sold Evi. Going to check if it's in any cinemas here in Lisbon. Or in cable.
    When I read Ben Stiller I was like "no way" I don't know I always associate him to goofy scenes that make me furrow on the sofa, if you know what I mean...
    The trailer sold me and that music is so amazing. And I need THIS kind of inspiration on the beggining of a year that I believe it will be chalenging - I need (even Ben Stiller) people pointing me to choose the red car, you know?
    Thank you Dearest Heart for not falling asleep on this one and recomending.
    Happy New Year, Love!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not seen it so it is top of my list now. Happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just caught this show a few hours ago and it's also my first movie of 2014. Love the artistic direction of the film, the far-fetched whimsy and the awesome soundtrack. Hopped over here from Bibi's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds so interesting ! I hope to see it soon ! Many kisses and warm greetings, Evi !!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a lovely review, makes me want to watch it even more :). Hope you're doing great :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Περιμένω πως και πως να το δω! Έχεις τόσο δίκιο για τη μουσική στο τρέιλερ και πόσο σε κάνει να θέλεις να δεις τι γίνεται. Και μ' αρέσει να βλέπω κωμικούς ηθοποιούς να παίζουν λίγο πιο σοβαρούς ρόλους. Από το τρέιλερ που είδα είναι κι άλλοι αγαπημένοι κωμικοί από το SNL :) Γουστάρω!
    Φιλάκια Ευάκι **

    υγ. είδα και φώτος από Φιλαδέλφια, τέλειες !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. `⋎´✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•✫
    ..✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.✫
    ☻/ღ˚ •。* ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛° 。* °♥ ˚ • ★ *˚ .ღ 。
    /▌*˛˚ღ •˚ ✰* ★¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•✫
    / \ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ 。✰˚* ˚ ★ღ ˚ 。✰ •* ˚ ”
    …….✬██████___██████✬▒▒▒▒▒✬
    ….✬████████✬████████✬▒▒▒▒▒✬¸
    …✬██████████████████✬▒▒▒▒▒✬
    ..✬███████████████████✬▒▒▒▒▒✬
    ….✬█████████████████✬▒▒▒▒▒✬
    ….._✬███████████████✬▒▒▒▒▒✬✫ …..___✬████████████✬▒▒▒▒▒✬✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•✫
    ……._____✬███████✬▒▒▒▒▒✬✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•✫
    …….._______✬███✬___✬▒✬✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•✫...B. E. S. O. S.

    ReplyDelete

goodreads

Followers